Monday, October 6, 2014

Present Perfect Continuous

Precent Perfect Continuous
The structure of the present perfect continuous tense is:
subject
+
auxiliary verb
+
auxiliary verb
+
main verb


have
has

been

base + ing
Here are some examples of the present perfect continuous tense:

subject
auxiliary verb

auxiliary verb
main verb

+
I
have

been
waiting
for one hour.
+
You
have

been
talking
too much.
-
It
has
not
been
raining.

-
We
have
not
been
playing
football.
?
Have
you

been
seeing
her?
?
Have
they

been
doing
their homework?
Contractions
When we use the present perfect continuous tense in speaking, we often contract the subject and the first auxiliary. We also sometimes do this in informal writing.

I have been
I've been
You have been
You've been
He has been
She has been
It has been
John has been
The car has been
He's been
She's been
It's been
John's been
The car's been
We have been
We've been
They have been
They've been
Here are some examples:
  • I've been reading.
  • The car's been giving trouble.
  • We've been playing tennis for two hours.
This tense is used to talk about an action or actions that started in the past and continued until recently or that continue into the future:
We can use it to refer to an action that has finished but you can still see evidence.
·         Oh, the kitchen is a mess. Who has been cooking?
·         You look tired. Have you been sleeping properly?
·         I've got a a stiff neck. I've been working too long on computer.
It can refer to an action that has not finished.
·         I've been learning Spanish for 20 years and I still don't know very much.
·         I've been waiting for him for 30 minutes and he still hasn't arrived.
·         He's been telling me about it for days. I wish he would stop.
It can refer to a series of actions.
·         She's been writing to her regularly for a couple of years.
·         He's been phoning me all week for an answer.
·         The university has been sending students here for over twenty years to do work experience.
The present perfect continuous is often used with 'since', 'for', 'all week', 'for days', 'lately', 'recently', 'over the last few months'.
·         I've been wanting to do that for ten years.
·         You haven't been getting good results over the last few months.
·         They haven't been working all week. They're on strike
·         He hasn't been talking to me for weeks.
·         We've been working hard on it for ages.
·         I've been looking at other options recently.

·         He's been working here since 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment