Sunday, September 28, 2014

Past Tenses: Simple, Continuous, Perfect

Past Tenses: Simple, Continuous, Perfect
Simple Past
the simple past expresses an action in the past taking place once, never, several times. It can also be used for actions taking place one after another or  in the middle of an action.

For irregular verbs, use the past form. For regular verbs, just add "ed".

Exceptions in spelling when adding ed
Example
after a final e only add d
love – loved
final consonant after a short, stressed vowel
or l as final consonant after a vowel is doubled
admit – admitted
travel – travelled
final y after a consonant becomes i
hurry – hurried
Example:
·         I played                     Did I play?                            I did not play.
·         She sang                  Did she sing?                      She didn’t sing.
·         He loved                   Did he love?                                    He didn’t love.


Past Perfect: 
Use the past perfect  to talk about an event wich had happened at some point in time before something took place.

Example:
·         She had finished her homework
·         I hadn’t eaten before finished my work
·         What had she saw before sartted cried?

      Past Perfect Continuous:

      the past perfect continuous is used to express how long something had been going on before something important happened in the past


Example:
·         She had been playing football.
·         You hadn't been so Smart

·         How long had you been there?

No comments:

Post a Comment