Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Present Tenses: Simple and Continuous, Action and Non-action verbs

Present Tenses
Describes a current event or state of being. However, somwhat, unusually the present tenses can also use to describe past and future events.
·         I jump in the lake every Saturday. (present event)
·         I am happy. (present state of being)
·         The meeting ends at 6 o'clock. (future event)
·         A man walks into a bar- Ouch! (past event)

Simple and Continuous

We use the present simple tense when we want to talk about fixed habits or routines – things that are always happen regulary.

Example:
·         I eat pizza
·         They go to a restaurant
·         She made the pasta
·         He will buy take out food

We use the present continuous to talk about actions which are happening at the present moment, but will soon finish, action in progress at the time of speaking or for the future arrangement.

Example:
·         What are you eating?
·         She is teasting the sushi for the first time.
·         I’m not going to eatout this time.

Compare these two statements:

·         (present simple) I play tennis.

·         (present continuous/ progressive) I am playing tennis.

(present simple) ‘I play tennis’ tells us that playing tennis is something the speaker always does. It is part of a routine or habit. We can call this a permanent situation.

(present continuous/ progressive) ‘I am playing tennis’ tells us that the speaker is playing tennis right now. Soon the game will be over. We call this a temporary situation.

Action and Non-action

An action verb is used to describe an action that is performed, can beuse in simple perfect and progresive (continuous tenses.

Example:
·         I’ll make the tacos
·         She drinks the winke like if is wáter
·         They want to go to an Italian restaurant

    Non-action verbs are used to describe states, senses, desires, possession, emotions and opinion.
     
      Non-action verbs are not usually used in continuous tenses.

       Example:

·         She likes the soup

·         He loves cook for his family

No comments:

Post a Comment