First
Conditional: real possibility
A conditional is a sentence or part of a sentence that expresses a condition. It usually begins with the words "when," "if" and "unless."
A condition is what must happen before something else can happen.
A conditional is a sentence or part of a sentence that expresses a condition. It usually begins with the words "when," "if" and "unless."
A condition is what must happen before something else can happen.
We are talking about the future. We
are thinking about a particular condition or situation in the future, and the
result of this condition. There is a real possibility that this condition will
happen. For example, it is morning. You are at home. You plan to play tennis
this afternoon. But there are some clouds in the sky. Imagine that it rains. What will you do?
IF
|
condition
|
result
|
present simple
|
WILL + base verb
|
|
If
|
it rains
|
I will stay at home.
|
We use the present simple tense to talk about
the possible future condition. We use WILL + base verb to talk about the
possible future result. The important thing about the first conditional is
that there is a real possibility that the condition will happen. Here are
some more examples (do you remember the two basic structures: [IF condition
result] and [result IF condition]?):
IF
|
condition
|
result
|
present simple
|
WILL + base verb
|
|
If
|
I see Mary
|
I will tell her.
|
If
|
Tara is free tomorrow
|
he will invite her.
|
·
In clauses with time words like when, after, until we
often use the present tense forms to talk about the future:
- I’ll come home when I finish work.
- You must wait here until your father comes.
·
In conditional clauses with if or unless we
often use the present tense forms to talk about the future:
- We won’t be able to go out if it is raining.
- If Barcelona win tomorrow they will be champions.
·
We do not normally use will in
clauses with if or with time words:
- I’ll come home when I
willfinish work. - We won’t be able to go out if it
will rain.rains.
·
but we can use will if it
means a promise or offer:
- I will be very happy if you will come to my party.
- We should finish the job early if George will help us.
No comments:
Post a Comment