First, we can use it to talk about things in the future that are probably not going to be true.
•If
I won the
lottery, I would buy a big house.(I probably won't win
the lottery)
•She would
pass the
exam if she ever studied.(She never studies, so this won't
happen)
Second, we can use it to talk
to talk about imaginary, hypothetical or unreal situations. We use it to talk
about the result of this imaginary situation.
•If I were you,
I wouldn't
go out
with that man.
If I won a
lot of money,
I’d
buy a
big house in the country.
In spoken English, we usually use a
contracted form of would: I would = I'd, he would = he'd etc.
It is possible, in the condition, to say
both 'If I were you ...' and 'If I was you ...' 'If I were you ...' is the
traditional and more formal form, but 'If I was you ...' is very common
nowadays."
The second conditional uses the past simple after if, then 'would' and the infinitive:
•if +
past simple, ...would/could + infinitive
No comments:
Post a Comment