A common mistake both for learners of English as well as native speakers
is the difference between “Used to” and “Use to” and when (or if) we put the
letter D at the end of the verb.
First let’s look at the meaning of it:
Used to = an action or habit that was common in the PAST but not anymore.
Used to = an action or habit that was common in the PAST but not anymore.
This should not be confused with
To be used to = accustomed to something (normally out of habit or experience)
To be used to = accustomed to something (normally out of habit or experience)
We use 'used to' for something that
happened regularly in the past but no longer happens.
Ø I used to smoke a packet a day but I stopped two years
ago.
Ø Ben used to travel a lot in his job but now, since his
promotion, he doesn't.
Ø I used to drive to work but now I take the bus.
We also use it for something that
was true but no longer is.
Ø There used to be a cinema in the town but now there
isn't.
Ø She used to have really long hair but she's had it all
cut off.
Ø I didn't use to like him but now I do.
'Used to do' is different from
'to be used to doing' and 'to get used to doing'
to be used to doing
We
use 'to be used to doing' to say that something is normal, not unusual.
Ø I'm used to living on my own. I've done it for quite a
long time.
Ø Hans has lived in England for over a year so he is used
to driving on the left now.
Ø They've always lived in hot countries so they aren't used
to the cold weather here.
We use 'to get used to doing' to talk
about the process of something becoming normal for us.
Ø I didn't understand the accent when I first moved here
but I quickly got used to it.
Ø She has started working nights and is still getting used
to sleeping during the day.
Ø I have always lived in the country but now I'm beginning
to get used to living in the city.
Used to in Negative
If we want to make a negative
sentence, the didn’t part shows that we are talking about the past tense.
It is NOT common to use Used to
in negative form though we will show you how to do it anyway.
Compare the normal past tense:
Ø I played rugby on
Saturday. (past - affirmative)
I didn’t play rugby
on Saturday. (past – negative – play doesn’t have the –ed at the end because
the auxiliary didn’t tells us that the sentence is in the past tense)
And now let’s see a sentence with
Used to:
Ø
I used to like her, but now I hate her.
I didn’t use to like her but now
I think she is great.
Many times we use never instead
of didn’t. In this case we use “used” in past tense. Compare:
Ø
I didn’t use to smoke.
I never used to smoke.
Used to in Questions
As with normal questions in the
past tense, we use the base form of the verb (not the verb in past tense),
since the auxiliary DID shows us that the question is in the past tense.
+ I used to
ride a bike to school every day.
- I didn’t use
to ride a bike to school. I would normally go by bus.
? Did you use
to ride a bike to school when you were a child?
Some more examples
Ø What did you use to
do after school when you were a kid?
Ø Where did you use to
go on vacation with your parents?
Usually
The adverb usually refers to what typically or normally
happens. We use it mostly in mid position, between the subject and the main
verb, or after the modal verb or first auxiliary verb, or after be as
a main verb:
Ø
Children usually enjoy
visits to the zoo.
Not: Children enjoy
usually visits …
Ø I usually get up around eight
o’clock.
Ø You can usually buy tickets for rock
concerts on the Internet.
Ø Are you usually in your office on
Thursdays?
Warning:
Usually does not mean the same as used to or be used to.
Ø
We usually watch
the news on TV before we go to bed.
Not: We used to watch the news … or We’re
used to watching the news… or We
use to watch the news …
We can also use the verb tend to
talk about what usually happens:
Ø
We tend to
watch the news on TV before we go to bed.
We say as usual, not as
usually, to talk about something which happens in the normal or typical
way:
Ø
We shall meet again as usual at 5 pm next Tuesday.
Not: We shall
meet again as usually at …
Typical errors
- Take care
to spell usually with ll.
- Don’t
confuse usually and used to. Usually refers
to what normally happens; used to refers to things which
were true in the past but are no longer true:
I usually play football on
Wednesday evenings, so Thursday would be better for me to go out for a meal.
Not: I used to play football …
(English Grammar Today ©
Cambridge University Press.)
No comments:
Post a Comment